June 2010 ............
I'm tackling another book to promote our county history a bit further. Our county (especially Denison with the abundance of large homes that once were elegant and well thought of) is a gold mine. If we allow our past memories to dwindle, our roots will become weak and soon our heritage in this rich countryside will be gone. Through books and education, perhaps the generations to follow us will recognize the joys, tears and hard work that went into the land that we so fondly call home - Crawford County Iowa.
Please consider joining me in this venture - I appreciate your support and prayers with yet another book about to be born. Suzi Barnes
BE PART OF TELLING THE STORY OF CRAWFORD COUNTY IN THE NEW BOOK "CLOSET COBWEBS IN CRAWFORD COUNTY". Here are the guidelines......
SUBMISSIONS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO DESCRIBING EVENTS OR LIFE OCCURRING BETWEEN 1880 through the 1960's.
1. SUBMISSIONS WILL BE TAKEN NOW UNTIL NOVEMBER 1ST - SEND TO SUZI BARNES, P.O. BOX 246, DENISON, IOWA 51442 OR DROP THEM OFF AT ROSCOE'S JEWELRY, 407 NORTH MAIN ST, DENISON - PHONE 712-263-2540. E-MAIL email@example.com
2. SUBMISSIONS MUST BE TYPE WRITTEN. IF THIS IS A PROBLEM CALL ME. YOU MUST INCLUDE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS & PHONE NUMBER OR IT WILL NOT BE PRINTED.
3. TYPED SUBMISSIONS CAN ONLY BE TWO PAGES. THE PAGE SIZE WILL BE 6X9" (THE SAME SIZE AS MY SILK STOCKING ROW BOOK).
4. PICTURES ARE VERY WELCOME. WE ARE LOOKING FOR EVENTS, BUSINESS STORES, OLD SCHOOLS, FARMING, ORGANIZATIONS, OLD CHURCHES, ETC. PICTURES MUST BE IDENTIFIED AS TO THE LOCATION AND APPROX DATE AND NAMES OF PEOPLE IN THE PICTURES.
5. STORIES (OR TALES) FROM MEMORIES OF YOUR GREAT GRANDPARENTS, GRANDPARENTS, PARENTS OR YOURSELF INCLUDE .... CHAUTAUQUA MEMORIES, BARN DANCES, HOMEMADE HOOCH, GAY 90'S PARTIES, BALLROOMS IN PRIVATE HOMES, HORSE & BUGGY TALES, GYPSIES, FARMING IN EARLY DAYS, TRAIN TRAVEL, EMPLOYMENT, PUMPKIN VINE RAILROAD, QUILTING, COOKING, ONE ROOM SCHOOL HOUSES, CHURCHES, SUMMER KITCHENS, OUT HOUSES,WAR TIME,FARMERS HOLIDAY, ENTERTAINING FAMILY/FRIENDS, GOING TO TOWN TO SHOP, SATURDAY NIGHTS. NAME PEOPLE, NEIGHBORS, BUSINESS PEOPLE, RELATIVES, GOSSIP OF THE TIME, PARTY LINE TELEPHONES, MAIL DELIVERY, GROCERY DELIVERY, ICE WAGONS ETC.... THE TWO PAGES ARE YOURS TO WALK BACK THROUGH MEMORY LANE - GO FOR IT!!! WHATEVER YOU WRITE WILL BE PRINTED AS YOU WRITE IT! (UNLESS THE WORDS GET TOO OFF COLOR).
6. IF YOU WANT THE PICTURES RETURNED SEND A SELF ADDRESSED AND STAMPED ENVELOPE ALONG WITH YOUR SUBMISSION. OR....YOU CAN PICK THEM UP AT ROSCOE'S JEWELRY.
7. BONUS TO YOU .....IF YOU SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR THE BOOK, YOU WILL BE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE ONE COPY OF THE BOOK FOR 30% OFF RETAIL COST DIRECTLY FROM ME. IF YOU SUBMIT PICTURES, YOU WILL BE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE ONE COPY OF THE BOOK FOR 50% OFF RETAIL COST DIRECTLY FROM ME.
I will continue to post updates on this blog about the book, so if you are interested you may follow along on this journey.
Sunday, June 20, 2010
There might be another book in the air........but this time concentrating on a bit larger area than just Denison and maybe some personal tale's from individuals who have closet cobwebs to share. teehee (: How's that for a hint.... (just teasing). I think it might be worth pursuing though. Food for thought, huh!